Excerpt from the government of Ontario’s ‘Newsroom’

The Corporation of the Village of Point Edward was fined $75,000 today for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was killed.

On January 30, 2010, members of the village’s paid volunteer fire department were participating in ice water rescue training. After doing swimming and floating exercises, the workers were instructed to swim out to a moving sheet of ice, climb it, and ride it down the lake. Some of them could not climb the ice floe and attempted to swim back to shore. One worker, unable to climb onto shore, was pushed by the ice floe under its surface. The worker was trapped under the ice floe for about four minutes. The worker was removed but died due to being trapped in the cold water.

Excerpt from the government of Ontario’s ‘Newsroom’

New Water Plumbing Inc., of Thornhill, was fined $100,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was killed.

On December 23, 2009, two workers from New Water Plumbing Inc. were in the mechanical room of a Toronto condo tower. They had taken a large exhaust fan out of its housing. As the workers were moving the fan, a light fixture they had swung out of the way swung back and hit the fan. Part of the light fixture was damaged, allowing its electrical charge to contact the fan. The worker who was holding the fan at the time was fatally electrocuted.

Excerpt from the government of Ontario’s Newsroom’

Tupling Farms Ltd., a Shelburne potato farm, was fined $90,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was killed.

On September 21, 2010, on a field in the Township of Melancthon, workers were harvesting potatoes. Some plant material got tangled in the harvester and the workers cleared it away. The operator of the harvester was then signaled to reverse the machine. While in reverse it rolled over and killed a worker who, unbeknownst to the operator, had moved from the front of the harvester.

Excerpt from the government of Ontario’s ‘Newsroom’

Cinram International Inc., an international maker of CDs and DVDs, was fined $55,000 yesterday for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was injured.

On June 16, 2009, at the company’s workplace in Scarborough, a worker was cutting pieces of steel. The worker was aligning a piece of steel to be cut and had placed one hand near an open vice. The worker accidentally hit a switch that closed the vice, which crushed part of the worker’s hand.