Excerpt from the government of Ontario’s ‘Newsroom’
Loch Lomond Ski Area Limited, operator of a Thunder Bay ski hill, was fined $70,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after one worker was killed and another was injured.
On September 2, 2009, two workers were replacing shingles on the roof of a ski chalet. The metal ladder they used to access the roof came into contact with a live overhead electrical conductor. One of the workers was fatally electrocuted and the other was seriously injured.
Loch Lomond Ski Area Limited pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that the workers did not use a metal ladder while working in proximity to a live overhead electrical conductor.
The fine was imposed by Justice of the Peace Robert Michels. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
The law(s) in contravention:
Loch Lomond Ski Area Ltd., was found guilty of a contravention of section 43 of the Ontario ‘Industrial’ regulation 851/90 which states,
“Tools and other equipment that are capable of conducting electricity and endangering the safety of any worker shall not be used in such proximity to any live installation or equipment that they might make electrical contact with the live conductor.”
How simple can this be? Electricity is a dangerous energy source and direct contact MUST be avoided at all costs. To think in this day and age we have an employer still using metal ladders when workers are to be near electrical sources. Unbelievable! I bet they replaced all of their portable ladders with fibreglass ladders. It should have been that way long ago. The employer is responsible for the worker health and safety and has to do everything reasonable to protect the worker. Too little and too late for these two!
Remember – In Ontario, “ALL Accidents are Preventable”
HRS Group Inc. has a great team that can help you with all your health and safety needs including ‘Electrical Safety Awareness’ and ‘Lockout and Tagout’. Contact Deborah toll free at 1-877-907-7744 or locally at 705-749-1259.
We can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
‘Work’ and ‘Play’ safe.
Daniel L. Beal
CHSEP – Foundation Level
VP & Senior Trainer
HRS Group Inc.