Excerpt from the OH&S Canada magazine
Saskatchewan’s health regions have been directed to adopt preventive safety measures for carbon monoxide (CO), a move expected to benefit residents and workers alike.
The January 13, 2011 order follows an incident during the holidays in which two residents of a long-term care facility in Humboldt, Saskatchewan died after being exposed to a build-up of CO.
Saskatchewan’s Ministry of Health in Regina has directed health regions to immediately develop plans for the appropriate installation of CO detectors in every health facility. “We want to ensure they have the procedures and equipment in place to prevent and detect unsafe exposure to this deadly gas,” health minister
Don McMorris notes in a statement.
Facility managers for health regions are in the process of buying and installing standard residential CO detectors, the ministry reports. The managers will also seek expert advice regarding the type, number, location and integration of CO monitors needed in their buildings, and develop longer-term plans to ensure those housed in the facilities are protected against exposure to CO accumulations, the statement adds.
I realize this was a few years ago but the story tells it all. Most governments do not look to make safety changes until someone or some people die. It happens time and time again. The story may change but the results are the same. People die so change can happen. There must be carbon monoxide measures in place in every workplace.
The workplace, as well as in the home, CO detectors are the law. We have one in our house on every level. In fact, we had them tied into the alarm system. This type of change would have saved the lives of the two residents and hopefully, many more have been saved since the changes were made.
My heart goes out to the families involved.
Remember – In Ontario, “ALL Accidents are Preventable”
‘Work’ and ‘Play’ safe.
Daniel L. Beal
CHSEP – Foundation Level
VP & Senior Trainer
HRS Group Inc.